Last week, My team went to Medicine Hat . We stayed in Medicine Hat lodge and it was quite comfortable and nice place to stay. It is a very big lodge and have lots of rooms. They are expanding the lodge and when we went there, the construction was still underway at some part of the hotel. I liked the indoor swimming pool and waterslides. I didn’t know that they have waterslides there otherwise I would have brought some swimming clothes with me. Kids were very happy playing in waterslides. Below is the picture of two giant chairs in the lobby hall. The kid in this picture is not mine. :)
Lodge also has indoor Casino and Bar but I never went there. I am not very firm believer in my good luck in gambling. Weather was clear when we reached in Medicine Hat, besides couple of snow here and there to make road slippery. They had developed new section of Medicine Hat and it wasn’t in my GPS but thankfully my Team Leader knew the place. After finishing our morning audit we went to hotel and checked in. I prepared my file for the next afternoon appointment. After having appointment in afternoon we head back to lodge. Medicine Hat is not a very big place but its good enough to have all the basic amenities available there. I came to know that people from Saskatchewan also come there for shopping. Since Alberta only has 5% GST as compared to Saskatchewan, where they also have PST of 7%. Many border people like to shop around in Medicine Hat since it is closer to the province.
I am still working on Auditing files and most of the cases which I had handled so far were not very complex. I also find out that, if not all, then still many people tend to file their GST fairly. If there is anything wrong it either they don’t know the correct rule or by sheer human mistake.
Couple of my appointments were in out of town location and I am glad that I bought GPS at the right time. My Garmin nuvi 265WT GPS is good one as it has most of the Southern Alberta map there. ( More info: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13430&ra=true#)
The only disadvantage which I found with this GPS is that it does not have very up to date information for out of town places but that shouldn’t be of very much concern since this GSP will at least let you drive by to near local place and there you can search around to find the correct address.
Weekend has very strong wind blizzard forecast. So I came back to Lethbridge by Friday noon. I need to change my car tires but I keep postponing it because I would like to buy another car and don’t want to invest anymore in my current car. Matter of fact is, I am still financially constrained. I want to finish my degree as soon as I can. Being poor is not very pleasing.
I finished my Accounting Information System (AIS) course and now left with Management Law, which I have exam on Dec 16, 2009. AIS is new course offered in this semester and more or less looked like Assurance class. But Prof Gordon is going to revise course content in next semester and is going to add some software package in course such as Simply Accounting. I strongly believe that this will benefit lots of students. One thing which I would like to add in Accounting degree is to add some kind of software package curriculum. So far we have taken all theoretical accounting and management related courses but I find it very disadvantage to be not able to learn any kind of software suite. If not as credit course then at least offer it as non-credit course. Students needs to learn at least one accounting software package. Whenever I go for audit, I see business use some kind of accounting software package and its very difficult for us to test internal control of their accounting software system or make had and tail of report presented to us by accounting software. Most of the businesses I had dealt with use some form of Simply Accounting package. I ordered book for Simply Accounting and will learn it of my own. There is some training provided in Lethbridge College for Simply Accounting but that is expensive. I strongly believe UofL should include this section of accounting learning in their curriculum.
No comments:
Post a Comment